What are age spots?
Age spots, otherwise known as liver spots, are dark blemishes on the skin that is caused by aging and over exposure to sunlight and UV radiation.
Age spots can turn into a few colours such as red, black and brown and mostly appear in places that the sun can easily reach such as the face, arms and hands, shoulders, forehead and the scalp if you are bald.
The reason they are called liver spots is because they were incorrectly diagnosed as spots caused by problems in the liver years ago, although they are actually unrelated to the liver.
Age spots are regularly common in the 40s age group and those who stay out in the sun for long periods of time.
In most cases, age spots do not pose a threat to your health and do not require any specific treatment, however there are many home remedies available to reduce the look of age spots.
The risk of leaving age spots untreated is that they are known to obscure the discovery of skin cancers.
Some people decide to have their age spots removed which can be done by electrosurgery, cryotherapy and laser treatment.
Alpha Hydroxy Acids can also remove the appearance of age spots.
Signs of age spots
Age spots can change in colour and shape as time goes on, unlike other marks on the skin such as melanotic nevi and verrucous nevi.
Age spots are formed when the surface layer of skin expands with extra pigment and starts to become misshapen and darker in colour- similar to a large freckle. Occasionally, age spots can cluster together to appear larger.
The easily identifiable signs of age spots are:
- Flat and oval patches of increased pigmentation on the skin
- Usually red, tan, black and brown in colour
- Occuring in places that is usually exposed to the sun such as hands, arms, forehead, shoulders and the scalp (if bald).
Age spot treatments
- Lemon juice: One remedy that you can use at home is lemon juice. Lemon juice contains bleaching benefits which can be used to cover up the appearance of age spots. Lemon juice also gives skin a radiating glow when used as a skincare product. All you have to do is apply the juice to the spot itself and let it work for thirty minutes before washing it off with cold water.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is also a fantastic remedy that has lactic acid in it to reduce age spots with its exfoliating properties. Simply apply it to the spot with a cotton wool ball and then wash it off after a few minutes. This remedy should be performed twice a day to achieve the best results.
- AHA (alpha hydroxyl acid) is a brilliant solution for removing the appearance of age spots as mentioned earlier. Homepeel's own AHA booster is highly recommended for those who want to strongly reduce the appearance of age spots. This natural product contains glycolic, lactic, malic and mandelicacid which removes the top layers of dead skin cells, therefore removing the age spots in the process.
- Aloe Vera: Due to Aloe Vera's healing benefits- it helps skins regeneration and can easily rid the appearance of age spots. All you have to do is apply the Aloe Vera directly to the age spot and rub it in. This should be performed daily and within a month the appearance of your age spots will be massively improved. Fresh Aloe Vera is the most favoured product to use.
- Retinol (Vitamin A Serum): Vitamin A is necessary for our nutrients and is used to control the growth rate of cells. It's been proven that if you apply Vitamin A in higher dosages, its exfoliating properties is known to get rid of old skin cells, therefore removing the age spots, and allowing new skin cells to grow in its place. This not only reduces age spots and liver spots, but wrinkles and scars too. Homepeel's Retinol (Vitamin A Cream) product is perfect for this treatment due to its ability to penetrate the skin further than other anti-aging skincare products and provide longer lasting result with a natural approach.
- Vitamin E Serum: Age spots can be easily reduced by Vitamin E due to its healing properties. It renews damaged skin cells by removing them, along with the appearance of age spots, and allowing new skin cells to grow.
- Sandal wood oil: With its antiseptic benefits and anti-aging properties, sandalwood oil is known to reduce hyperpigmentation which will reduce the appearance of age spots.
- Green Herb Skin Peel: Chemical peels are created to improve the appearance of age spots by using a chemical solution to peel away the old layer of skin and reveal new and clearer skin underneath. Homepeel's Green Herb Skin Peel is designed to do exactly that with its potent combination of mixed dry herbs and salicylic acid.
- Fortnightly Fruit Peel: This rather gentle skin peel compared to the Green Herb Skin Peel has been created for a fortnightly use so you can remove your age spots quickly and appropriately for outstanding results. All you need to is simply add your favourite piece of fruit and enjoy a fruity fragrance sensation.
- Placenta Serum: This Homepeel treatment works like magic for your skin to remove age spots and pesky scars. When your cells absorb the placenta in the serum, the cells begin to mimic new collagen for new and youthful looking skin. The old cells then turn into new skins, clearing the age spots and scars in the process for clear and healthier skin.